Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Cheesy Black Bean and Brown Rice Bake

This week I’m going simple!  In the midst of some of life’s difficulties lately, I need some simplicity to balance out my days. 
Simple schooling + Simple meals = Simple days!
DSCN3098 Lots of veggies….no dressing needed!
Cheesy Black Bean and Brown Rice Bake
Ingredients:
4 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 yellow pepper, diced
1/2 red pepper, diced
1 8oz. can green chilies, mild
1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1/2 cup salsa (I used homemade)
2 cups organic baby spinach, chopped
1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup frozen corn
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (plus more for topping if you wish)
Optional:  cilantro, avocado, salsa for garnish
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients (except for optional garnishes) and combine well.
Pour mixture into prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted.  Garnish with your favorite toppings!
DSCN3094 I made a couple of individual servings to have for quick and easy lunches this week.
DSCN3097I served my portion as a topping to my salad, along with some homemade guacamole and salsa!  Super simple and super delicious!

Simple schooling days means more hands on learning!  We’re having a blast reading  Little House in the Big Woods and thought we needed some “dolls” just like Laura and Mary.
DSCN3068 So simple “Yarn Dolls” it was!
DSCN3070 Princess Makenna made hers big enough to sleep with…
DSCN3071 And my princess Cailyn made hers small enough to carry in her pocket!
From the “Big Woods” to Ancient China we go! Today we learned about the “Chinese Lantern Festival” during the Chinese New Year Celebration and decided to make some colorful lanterns ourselves.
DSCN3102 Construction paper, scissors, tape, a stapler, some glue and a few jewels was all we needed!
DSCN3103 Lanterns of many colors now hang from the chandelier in our school room….today we made learning fun and simple!
Nourishing Thought for Today:
It’s “simple”….
The light of God surrounds me,
The love of God enfolds me,
The presence of God protects me,
God is always with me!
Blessings,
J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment