Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Quinoa Primavera

I love finding good deals although, I’ll admit, I’m not very good at it!  I especially love when I can find a “two-for-one” deal because I kind of feel like I’m getting something for free. 

That’s kind of how I felt last night when I started putting all these wonderful veggies together…side dish or main meal, you choose!  Other than a bit of chopping and shredding, this meal came together fairly quickly, which is what I needed for our busy softball game night (the season is almost over!!) And to top things off, there was leftovers!

DSCN3931 Light enough to pair with your favorite protein…for the hubs and princesses I made it a “one-dish” meal by mixing in some baked chicken breast.

Quinoa Primavera

Ingredients:

2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 shallots, chopped

2 celery stalks, chopped

1 small zucchini, chopped

1 cup shredded carrots (about 2 carrots)

1 1/2 tsp curry powder

3 cups low-sodium veggie broth

1 cup colored quinoa, rinsed

1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese

3 Tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley

Sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

DSCN3933 Directions:

Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.  Add olive oil.  Add garlic, shallots, zucchini, carrots and celery.  Saute for about 5 minutes.

Add the curry powder and veggie broth and bring to a boil.

Add quinoa and return to a boil.  Cover and reduce to medium heat.  Cook, stirring occasionally, until the quinoa absorbs the liquid (about 15-20 minutes).  Uncover and stir in cheese and parsley.   Season with salt and pepper and serve!

DSCN3929 Hearty enough to eat alone or, in my case, use as a fabulous topper to your favorite green salad!  All of us enjoyed a homemade gluten free garlic biscuit and some fresh apple slices to round out our meals.

 

Blessings,

J’lene

This post is also shared on Allergy Free Wednesdays!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! I like trying new recipes, especially quinoa, and this one sounds great. I especially like adding the veggies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome and I'd be anxious to know how you like it! I know I will make this dish again for sure because everyone (even my picky eater) gave it a thumbs up!

      Blessings,
      J'lene

      Delete
  2. Mmmm...this looks really good! You have a great compliment of flavors in the dish. Thanks for linking up at last week's Allergy-Free Wednesdays. We hope you'll share with us again this week.

    ~Michelle, AFW Hostess

    ReplyDelete