Wednesday, June 6, 2012

It’s all in the shoes…

Over the past few weeks I’ve been noticing that my legs have been hurting each time I would go out for a run.  At first I thought it was soreness from not stretching enough (which I still need to work on), but as I did a little searching I discovered that it was probably my shoes.  I tend to keep my sneakers looking nice and since my feet are obviously not growing anymore, I don’t tend to buy them but every few years.  Apparently this “every few years” deal won’t work anymore if I continue running! 

I never knew you should “retire” your sneakers after running so many miles in them (even if they still do look good!).  So, out with the old…

DSCN4349 Here’s some tips and tricks on when to replace your sneakers (source):

Running in old or worn out shoes can lead to an increase in running injuries. Over time running shoes lose stability and shock absorption capacity. When this happens the stress to the feet and legs increases dramatically. Over time such added stress can lead to an overuse injury. A simple prevention strategy includes replacing running shoes when they wear out.

The midsole layer of a shoe provides the cushioning and stability. This area usually wears out before the outsole shows major signs of wear. When a midsole wears out the shoe looses functional stability. It is this loss of stability and cushioning that leads to increased stress and increased injury risk.

It is recommended that you replace running shoes between 350-550 miles depending on your running style, body weight, and the surface on which you run. Lighter runners can get closer to the upper end of the recommendation while heavier runners are harder on shoes and should consider replacement shoes closer to 350 miles.

Running Shoe Replacement Tips
  • Track your mileage. After 350-550 miles it's time for a new pair. For runners who log 25 miles per week replace your shoes every three to four months.
  • You can check for signs of wear on the sole by placing your old shoes on a table and looking at them from behind. If the soles are worn and leaning to one side, the midsole cushioning is probably worn as well.

runningshoes_infographic

After learning all this new knowledge about sneakers, I decided (because there was a sale and I had a coupon plus store credit) that it was time for some new sneakers.

DSCN4347  Okay, all this talk about running is makin’ me hungry!  Here’s a fun, healthy and tasty treat that will satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth…even mine!

DSCN4329 Pecan Chocolate Chip Oat Bars

Yields 9-12 bars

(inspired by Gluten Free Easily)

Ingredients:

2 “chia” eggs (2 Tbsp chia seeds + 6 Tbsp warm water  - mix and let soak for about 5-7 minutes)

1/3 cup raw coconut crystals

1 cup gluten free oat flour

1 cup pecans, chopped (I used dry roasted from Trader Joe’s)

1 cup dark chocolate chips

1 Tbsp coconut oil

1/4 tsp sea salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, prepare your “chia” eggs and let sit for awhile.  Stir in the coconut crystals.  Then, add in oat flour, pecans, chocolate chips, coconut oil and salt.  Mix just until combined.

Spread the batter into the prepared baking dish.  Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  Cool slightly before cutting into bars.

DSCN4332 This delicious and simple treat tastes like your eating a decadent dessert for sure!

DSCN4331Lots of chocolate and nutty goodness going on in there…YUMMO!

Okay, now I think I need to go run again!  Another excuse to go break in the new shoes! 

Blessings,

J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment