Sunday, September 4, 2011

Changing things up….

Right now teaching my precious girls is my number one (and all-consuming) priority and I just can’t seem to find enough hours in the day to get all that I need done…go figure! I just wanted to let all my faithful readers know that I’ve decided to post every other day for the time being.  I am excited to continue to be able to share with you all that God is doing in and through my life as I “nourish” myself as well as my family according to His plan.  And part of that is bringing you nourishing and healthy recipes that you can in turn take to your precious families!  With that said….

I don’t know about you, but mornings in our home can be quite hectic and an elaborate breakfast is not always on the menu.  However,  breakfast is a must.  Is it not one of the most, if not the most important meal of the day?   I will admit that some mornings we throw down a bowl of cereal and off we go!   But not today.  This morning I served up a healthy and hearty meal of baked oatmeal.  The girls and the hubs LOVE oatmeal and while I’m not a real fan, I have become quite fond of the “baked” version.  Oatmeal is such a versatile grain to cook/bake with and the possibilities seem to be endless (hint, hint…there will be lots of oatmeal going on this week!)

 

I baked this recipe the night before, which made for a quick and easy breakfast right before heading out to church!

Apple Berry Baked Oatmeal

Serves 8

Ingredients:

2 cups frozen mixed berries (I used Trader Joe’s Very Cherry Blend)

2 cups gluten-free rolled oats

1/2 cup raw, sliced almonds (can sub in your favorite chopped nuts)

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 organic apple, peeled, cored, and grated

1 cup non-dairy milk (I used Coconut, but I’m sure any milk would work)

1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt

1/4 cup brown sugar

2 Tbsp maple syrup

2 tsp vanilla extract

1 tsp almond extract (optional)

1 tsp cinnamon

2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp flax meal + 6 Tbsp water, let soak for about 5 minutes) or you can use 1 egg + 1 egg yolk

Optional Glaze:

1/2 tsp cinnamon

3/4 cup powdered sugar

splash of non-dairy milk (enough to make a “runny” consistency)

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Spray a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray and set aside. 

For the glaze: In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, powdered sugar, and milk.  Stir until desired consistency.

In a large bowl, stir together the berries, oats, nuts, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, brown sugar, and apple.  In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, yogurt, syrup, vanilla extract, almond extract, and flax eggs.  Stir into oat mixture. 

Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake until firm and golden brown on top, about 50 minutes.  Let cool for about 5 minutes, then cut into slices and serve with a drizzle of cinnamon glaze!

 

I missed out on posting dinner last night and didn’t want to leave you hanging, so I’m bringing it to you tonight!  This one was for the hubs since it has meat in it, but you can easily make it a vegetarian meal by subbing in your favorite veggies for the chicken.  This meal has all the flavors of your favorite fajitas without all the drippy mess!  I served it alongside a green salad, Spanish quinoa, and homemade guacamole…MMM, MMM, Good!

 

Chicken Fajita Melts

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

6 (6oz.) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, thinly sliced (I used organic chicken breast strips from Trader Joe’s because I don’t like cutting chicken!)

1/2 cup sliced (or diced) onions

2-3 garlic cloves, minced

1/2 cup sliced red bell pepper

1/2 cup tomato juice

2 Tbsp taco seasoning

1 cup salsa ( I used homemade fire-roasted salsa, but your favorite jarred salsa will work just fine)

8 slices whole wheat sourdough bread (or whole wheat French Bread)

2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the chicken, and cook and stir until lightly browned (about 5-7 minutes).

Stir in the sliced onions, garlic, and red bell peppers, and cook and stir until the vegetables are tender (about 5 minutes).  Stir in the tomato juice and taco seasoning, mix well.  Cook mixture until the juice has thickened and the chicken is well coated with the sauce, about another 7 minutes.

Preheat the oven’s broiler and set the oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source.

Spread 2 Tbsp of salsa over each slice of bread.  Evenly spoon the chicken mixture on top of the salsa topped bread.  Sprinkle each sandwich with 1/4 cup cheese.

Place sandwiches under the preheated broiler and cook for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown.

Serve immediately!

 

Nourishing Thought for Today:

Today I thought I would ask for your thoughts…

What is your favorite breakfast?

How do you fix your oatmeal? 

Cereal or no cereal?

 

Blessings,

J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment