Sunday, October 2, 2011

And there was more pumpkin….

I stocked up on pumpkin puree at Costco today…something I never imagined myself doing!  But hey, a girl’s got to do what a girl’s got to do, especially when it comes to Fall baking!

And although we haven’t quite hit that Fall weather, it hasn’t slowed me down in the kitchen. Oh my, the combination of cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and pumpkin was wafting through the house last night.  This cake was all that I had imagined it to be…loved that it was full of flavor, super moist, and the roasted pecans gave it a nice crunch!  I don’t think there will be any leftovers, not even any crumbs for me to scrape up off the floor!

DSCN1002 DSCN1000

Cranberry-Pecan Pumpkin Coffee Cake

Yields 9 servings

Ingredients:

1 cup roasted, chopped pecans

1 1/2 cups all-purpose gluten free flour (I used Bob’s Red Mill)

1/4 cup stone ground, whole grain gluten free yellow cornmeal (I used Bob’s Red Mill)

1 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp xanthum gum

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp ground ginger

1/4 tsp ground cloves

2 large organic eggs

3/4 cup organic cane sugar

1/2 cup firmly packed organic brown sugar

1/3 cup coconut oil

1/3 cup non-fat plain yogurt

1 cup pumpkin puree

1 cup dried cranberries

Streusel Topping:

1/4 cup gluten free rolled oats

2 Tbsp gluten free flour (I used brown rice)

1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar

1 Tbsp Earth Balance butter

 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly spray an 8x8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cornmeal, baking soda, salt, xanthum gum, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. 

In a large bowl, combine the eggs, cane sugar, brown sugar, oil, pumpkin, and yogurt.  Beat with a large whisk or an electric beater until smooth and creamy.  Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix just until incorporated.  Stir in the cranberries and 2/3 cup of the pecans. 

To make the streusel topping, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix together with a fork until the butter is well incorporated and mixture is crumbly.

Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and smooth the top.  Scatter the remaining 1/3 cup of pecans on top and sprinkle with streusel topping.  Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 45-50 minutes.  Let cool in the pan to room temperature, then cut into 9 servings. 

Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or wrap tightly and freeze up to 1 month.

 

Please forgive me if I am MIA for awhile.  I have decided to try my hand at a gluten free baking contest this month and will need a little time to get my creative juices flowing!  I’m excited to share with you the details as soon as I come up with my “sweet treat” concoction.

Oh! And there will be more pumpkin on the way (if you go Costco, you go big!).

Nourishing Thought for Today:

Super Mom

1. She is frustrated with her lack of spiritual fruit.

2. She does things with her children.

3. Her perspective is based upon what is seen.

4. She chooses quantity of activities.

Abiding Mom

1. She abides in Christ and bears much fruit. (see John 15:5)

2. She builds a relationship with her children. (see Deuteronomy 6:6-7)

3. Her perspective is based on what is unseen. (see Colossians 3:2)

4. She chooses the most excellent Way. (see 1 Corinthians 31:28)

 

Blessings,

J’lene

 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to try this recipe! Looks very yummy! Thank you for the nourishing thought of the day... it made me smile! :)

    ReplyDelete