Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pizza Overload!

What pizza is to my princesses, pumpkin is to me…it’s simply a necessity!  And one can never have too much!  

These last couple of weeks I have found myself scurrying around like a little mouse gathering supplies for her winter home.  Amidst all my scurrying I have found myself “cheating” in the kitchen and have had my hand in some pretty '”throw-it-together” meals!  You caught me…I’m guilty!

The other night was case in point.  I needed an “easy peezy” meal that the family would love and I think I nailed it!  Who doesn’t love themselves a little slice of pizza?  We’re not talking the “frozen” kind, but we’re also not talking the “homemade fresh from the oven” kind either.  We’re talking “semi-homemade” here!  I do have some recipes for  homemade pizza dough lurking in the back of my recipe box that I have yet to try, but there is something about bread dough that scares me.  I’ll tackle it one of these days!  But for now….
DSCN0677 I used Immaculate Baking’s buttermilk biscuits as my pizza dough, grated some fresh mozzarella cheese, and added some homemade tomato sauce to make some pretty delicious “mini” pizzas.
DSCN0679 The princesses helped me roll out the “dough” and pile on their favorite toppings.
DSCN0683 Straight out of the oven…cheese was bubbly and golden and the biscuits provided a crispy, flaky crust.
DSCN0684 Delish…or so I heard!  Unfortunately, Immaculate Baking buttermilk biscuits are not gluten free and I was not able to indulge this time.DSCN1792
No worries, I had my fair share of indulging on this new dish…Pizza Soup!  All the flavors of your favorite pizza wrapped up in a warm soup.








Pizza Soup
Yields 4 servings
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped red pepper
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 can organic diced tomatoes, juices included
1 8oz. jar of pizza sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp dried basil
pinch of paprika or cayenne (I used paprika)
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Directions:
In a medium stockpot, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion, pepper, and mushrooms; cook, stirring often, until softened (about 5 minutes).
Add garlic and cook another minute.  Add the broth, tomatoes (and their juices), pizza sauce, water, seasonings, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until the veggies are tender (about 15 minutes).
Enjoy warm with a little grated parmesan or shredded mozzarella on top!
DSCN1793 DSCN1793 

Nourishing Thought for Today:
No matter what we do, we are not to complain or grumble (even when we don’t have the perfectly portioned plate of whole grains, fruits, and veggies)!  

Sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation to exercise or even eat right, but changing our attitudes and mindsets is an essential part in finding our inspiration.  How about focusing on the benefits of exercising and eating well, set yourself some goals, look for improvements, do something (or cook something) you like, or spend time with God on a walk, run, or bike ride?

Do you treasure your body as a gift?  God has gifted us with a “fearfully and wonderfully made” temple designed perfectly to glorify Him!

“I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well.”  -Psalm 139:14

There is a holy call to worship our Creator by offering our bodies as a living sacrifice in gratitude for the price He paid for us!

Blessings,
J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment