Monday, January 23, 2012

Weekend highlights…

One thing is for sure, I am not technically savvy in any way, shape or form.  I’m trying to update my “recipe” page to make it clearer as to what dishes are gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, etc… and I’m afraid it’s going to take awhile!  I usually have the motto of “if it works, don’t fix it,” but in order for me to keep up with the “blogging world” some changes must be made.  Please be patient with me and I promise you will like what you see!

Until then…

I’m trying to forget that today is Monday…in part because we didn’t get off to a very good start.  Can I please have a do-over and wipe away all the complaining and tears?  Okay, maybe not.  We’ll just say that Saturday and Sunday made up for it and call it a day!

Saturday I loaded the family in the car and drug took them to run some much needed errands.  I say “I” because they were errands that mainly “I” wanted to get done and this was the only day I had the hubs to help!  I think there was something in it for everyone though…I got the grocery shopping done for the week and some much needed light bulbs so I can actually see what I’m cooking, the princesses made some purchases with their Christmas money, and the hubs got food to go out to dinner because I took too long to shop!

Our home is now stocked with wholesome foods for the week and has somehow turned into a grocery store and hair salon all in one day.  My little Cailyn loves to help me with the grocery shopping and is a natural “bag lady” most days, so there was no turning back when she saw a little pink “cash register” with full working scanner and intercom…she proudly paid the lady at the checkout counter!  And then my princess Makenna fell in love with a “Barbie Salon Center” complete with a working sink and markers to “color” her hair….she too proudly paid the lady at the checkout counter!  Needless to say, I’ve tried to look beyond the grocery bags that line the living room floor and the soapy countertops in the kitchen and enjoy these moments of creative play.  I put my blinders on and got to baking in the kitchen…works every time! 

DSCN2158

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cake w/ Cinnamon Drizzle

(inspired by Sarah @ Peas and Thank You)

Yields 10-12 servings

Ingredients:

1 cup gluten free rolled oats

1 1/4 cup boiling water

1/4 cup coconut oil

1/4 cup sunflower butter (can sub in your favorite nut butter)

2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

1/2 cup raw coconut crystals

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 cup gluten free oat flour (grind your gluten free rolled oats in a food processor!)

1/2 cup coconut flour

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp sea salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

For the icing:

1/2 cup organic powdered sugar

1/2 tsp cinnamon

splash of water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a bundt pan with cooking spray and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the oats and boiling water and allow the oats to absorb the liquid.

Using a blender or hand mixer, cream together coconut oil, sunflower butter, applesauce, coconut crystals and vanilla.

In a large bowl, combine flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.

Add wet ingredients to dry and combine well.  Add cooked oats to mixture.

Allow mixture to cool slightly before folding in the chocolate chips.  Scoop batter into prepared bundt pan.

Bake for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.

For the icing:

Combine all ingredients into a small bowl and mix well (add water a little at a time until desired consistency).  Drizzle over cooled cake and let sit for about 10 minutes allowing it to set up.

 

DSCN2159A wonderfully dense cake with the taste of oatmeal and cinnamon…a perfect morning treat!

DSCN2160

Still got the itch to run and started off strong this morning on week 4’s training schedule.   Here’s what’s in store for me this week…

Week 4
Day 1 - Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:

  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

Day 2 - Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

Day 3 - Brisk five-minute warmup walk, then:
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)
  • Walk 1/4 mile (or 2-1/2 minutes)
  • Jog 1/4 mile (or 3 minutes)
  • Walk 1/8 mile (or 90 seconds)
  • Jog 1/2 mile (or 5 minutes)

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!!!!

DSCN1176

Blessings,

J’lene

1 comment:

  1. This is specially useful in garages and gardens, when items which include big planters, paint buckets, and long tools have to be cleaned and washed within the utility sink.

    ReplyDelete