Sunday, April 22, 2012

Happy Birthday Sweet Girl!

The countdown is finally over, my sweet princess Cailyn turned 5 today!  We celebrated this much awaited day with a family gathering, a room decorated with nothing but purple and yellow, party hats and noise makers, and her favorite “Mexican” dinner, per her request.

DSCN3814 On the menu: fruit platter, homemade guacamole and salsa with corn tortilla chips, rice, beans and chicken flautas.  We had enough to feed an army (and it was a nice change not to have to cook the entire meal for 20 some people!)

DSCN3818 Party hats for all!

DSCN3819 Makin’ some noise!!

DSCN3817 Now what mom could possibly turn down a princesses’ request for a “bean and cheese burrito with all rice on the side, PLEASE!”  Actually, I tried but there was nothing that was going to budge this little girl.

DSCN3812 The cake was another story!  We eventually worked hand in hand to come up with the “perfect” birthday cake.  I say, “eventually,” because originally her mind was set on this concoction…”A Double-Fudge Mint Ice Cream Brownie Cake.”  I wasn’t so sure that I would be able to deliver such a decadent dessert, so I had her get in on the baking action with me.  Together we made a couple of trial runs on the cake itself and she chose, in her words, “the best tasting one!”  The final decision on the birthday dessert was a “Chocolate Chip Mint Ice Cream Cake with Chocolate Whipped Cream Frosting.”  Did I mention the cake was gluten free, refined sugar free and vegan!!  Oh yes!  I got my inspiration for the cake from here (and just made a few adjustments…used 1/2 cup raw coconut crystals for the sweetener, increased the vanilla to 1 tsp, used grapeseed oil and unsweetened almond milk)

DSCN3805 DSCN3837 Loved the whipped cream frosting…this cake didn’t need an overly sweet frosting paired with the ice cream center.  I simply whipped up 1 cup of organic heavy cream, 3 Tbsp organic cane sugar, 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and 1 tsp pure vanilla extract.  I made sure to put my beaters and bowl in the freezer for 15-30 minutes before I added my ingredients.  This recipe yields about 2 cups of frosting.

DSCN3838

DSCN3839

DSCN3842 Before I could get the last piece of cake cut she had licked (I think literally) her plate clean!  I’d say it was a success!

And just as fast as she inhaled her cake she moved on to opening more gifts than she knows what to do with!  I’d have to say she is a very blessed little princess and many thanks to everyone who made this day so very special for her!  DSCN3822 I think she would “bend over backwards” to get some of those gifts open!

DSCN3824 Looking forward to bird watching with Papa!

DSCN3826

DSCN3833 It’s purple and it has frills…can’t go wrong with that!

DSCN3831 A sweet moment with her G.G. and Grandand (great-grandparents)

Happy Birthday my sweet little Cailyn!  Thank you for bringing a smile (or tears) to my face each day!  You have a heart of gold, your sweet giggles are like sunshine on a dreary day, and your imagination is one like I’ve never seen before.  You are my gift from God…You are my princess…and You will always be my baby girl!  I Love You!

Blessings,

J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment