Monday, April 2, 2012

Hearty Lentil-Quinoa Soup

I felt like I left you hanging without giving you the recipe on my last post!  I was so excited about all my frugal meals that it must have slipped my mind, so here you are my friends.

DSCN3463

Hearty Lentil-Quinoa Soup

(inspired by The Clean Eating Mama)

Ingredients:

1 large onion, chopped

2 carrots, chopped

3-4 cloves of garlic, minced

1 cup chopped celery

3/4 cup dried lentils (I used green)

4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth + 1 cup water

1/2 cup toasted quinoa

sea salt and pepper to taste

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 Tbsp dried basil

1 Tbsp dried oregano

Directions:

In a large stock pot, add oil and turn the burner to medium-high.  Add the onion, celery, carrots, and garlic.  Let cook until onions are translucent and soft.

Add the vegetable broth and water, lentils, and herbs to the pot.  Turn up the heat to high and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and let cook for 1 hour.  Taste and add more seasonings or salt and pepper.

When the soup is nearly done, begin to toast your quinoa in a small skillet over medium heat.  Once warm and toasted, add it to your soup.  Cover and let cook for an additional 15-20 minutes.

DSCN3458 I think this is one of my favorite soups thus far, not only is it “out of this world” delicious, it’s pretty quick to throw together. I know it will be showing up on the menu again real soon!

DSCN3464 My mouth is watering just looking at this bowl!

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!  Let me know if you change things up a bit!

Now I’m off to take care of my princess Makenna…she got three teeth pulled today!  She’s been such a trooper…I’d probably be whining like a baby!

DSCN3585 Three new holes! 

DSCN3586 A sweet smile and some applesauce!

Blessings,

J’lene

1 comment:

  1. okay, so months ago (when the weather was still cool!) i decided to make this delicious sounding soup. i had just finished adding all the ingredients to the pot when i picked up the empty bag of "green lentils" to throw it away and was horrified to discover that it had been a bag of spit green peas! and i had already added it to the soup!! you know, it still tasted great :)

    ReplyDelete