Sunday, May 20, 2012

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner Waffles…

I finally did it, I broke out the waffle iron I’ve had sitting in the cupboard collecting dust since our wedding!  I’ve always been a bit afraid of cooking waffles and I think it’s just because the process seems so daunting.  Well, those daunting days are over and I am now in love with making waffles! 

You see, I had been following the “10 Days of Gluten Free” bloggers and was absolutely loving the tips on lunchboxes and snacks from Tessa the Domestic Diva when I came across this post  she wrote that completely won me over in the waffle department.  Could I really serve waffles for breakfast, lunch and dinner?  I gave it a whirl!

DSCN4102 

Buckwheat and Coconut Flour Waffles (3 ways!)

Yields 4 large waffles (depends on the size of your waffle iron) – double the recipe and put the extra in the freezer for quick and easy meals!

Ingredients:

1/2 cup organic buckwheat flour

1/2 cup organic coconut flour

1/4 tsp sea salt

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

2 Tbsp raw coconut crystals

3 large organic eggs, beaten

1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted

2 cups non-dairy milk (I tried both almond and coconut milk and they both had great results)

2 tsp lemon juice

Directions:

Preheat waffle iron

Mix the non-dairy milk and lemon juice together.  Set aside for about 5 minutes (this will be your “buttermilk”).

Mix all ingredients  in a medium mixing bowl just until combined.  Ladle onto hot waffle iron.  Cook until golden brown.

For Cinnamon Waffles (these have been the biggest hit for breakfast and snacks!):

Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the ingredients in your mixing bowl.

For Cinnamon Apple Waffles:

Add 1/2 tsp cinnamon + 1/2 an apple peeled and chopped to the ingredients in your mixing bowl.

DSCN4105 For breakfast:  Cinnamon Buckwheat Waffles topped with fresh berries and a drizzle of maple syrup (we’re missing the syrup on these guys because this was my second batch for the freezer…the others were long gone right after I made them!).

DSCN4106 It was a unanimous vote for mom to make these again.  And the great thing was, the hubs could so easily pop these right out of the freezer and into the toaster oven with little or no instructions!

DSCN4132 For my dinner: Buckwheat Waffles topped with leftover “Veggie Sloppy Joes” and a bit of cheese.  The waffles came right out of the freezer, then were topped with some yummy toppings and popped in the toaster over for about 10 minutes.  I don’t think it could get any easier than that!

DSCN4134 Not to mention that it tasted so amazing! 

Since my first trial run of waffle making, the princesses have been enjoying fun, creative and healthy breakfasts, lunches, snacks and dinners! 

For snacks/lunches (I break the waffle into 4 sections and pull out 1 or 2 sections to toast):

  • top with nut butters and fruit (our favorite is almond butter, banana and raisins)
  • top with cream cheese and strawberries or blueberries
  • top with a bit of cheese and melt in the toaster
  • use 2 halves of the waffle as a replacement for bread and make your favorite sandwich (we’ve tried almond butter and jelly, lunch meat with cheese and hummus, and scrambled egg with spinach)

For dinner:

  • leftovers make great toppings!
  • break the waffle into small pieces and toast up for “croutons” on your favorite salad

The possibilities seem endless!  How do you like your waffles?  I’d love to hear more ideas!!

Blessings,

J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment