Friday, October 14, 2011

Five Favorite Things of Fall…

1. Change: Although we don’t see too many changing colors here in San Diego, I do love me a tree covered in scarlet and gold leaves!  It just seems to bring some warmth to the season as the weather gets a bit cooler.
Today I made a “color” change myself…and I think I kind of like it!!  The hubs says it makes me look “classy” with a little “sass”.  I’ll take the compliment, but stick to my jeans and t-shirts (that’s my kind of class!).

DSCN1253
2. Savoring the flavors: I don’t think I can get enough of the sweet and savory smells and tastes that Fall brings.  I love me some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves for sure!  And as of late, it’s been all about pumpkin.  Tonight I’m venturing into the world of butternut squash and I can’t wait to share.  Here’s a little sneak peek…
DSCN1226DSCN1244
And of course there will be apple picking followed by the sweet smell of apple butter simmering in the crock pot.  OH YUM!!  For now, how about some Pumpkin-Applesauce Oatmeal Cookies?
DSCN1236 DSCN1240
DSCN1242(recipe to come!)
3. Warm soup: Nothing seems to warm me up better on a cool evening than a warm bowl of homemade soup.  We’ll definitely be adding Minestrone, Lime Taco, and Potato Leek Soup to our menu this Fall.  I’m looking forward to trying some new ones this week….think lots of beans and kale!
4. Decorations: This year I actually waited until the end of September to break out the Fall decorations!  I don’t know what it is, but bringing out the candles, pumpkins, scarecrows, and gourds just seems to make the home a bit more cozier.
DSCN1229
5. Family Time: Now the days are getting shorter and the sun is setting earlier, which means dinner is also on the table at an earlier hour.  This means we get to look forward to cool evening walks and bike rides!  It’s a perfect way to slow down, be together, and end our day.


How do you spend your Fall evenings with your family?  Have yourself a “Fall-tastic” weekend!

Blessings,
J’lene

2 comments:

  1. love the new hair!! it suits you well. we've been enjoying bundling up a bit in the evenings and heading out to the backyard to play as the sun sets. the boys tumble around in the grass and me & ava sit and watch them, smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Heidi! I'm loving these cooler evenings too! I think we're over due for catching up my friend. Have a wonderful week and hopefully I can get over with those clothes!

    ReplyDelete