Thursday, May 10, 2012

Random ramblings…

Happy Thursday…it’s almost Friday!!  

Today I lack the energy to do much of anything and I can’t figure out why.  I rolled out of bed a bit late this morning, made it out the door and somehow managed to make it through a hike up my new favorite “hill.”  But I didn’t have that “yeah, I’m a sweaty mess…that was a great hike” feeling when I was done.  I suppose we all have those days every now and then and I’m praying that my “pep” will return soon…and my appetite.  Along with this random lack of energy I’ve had this random lack of appetite.  Yesterday I feasted on apple slices because that’s all that sounded good.  Today…a half of a banana, more apple slices and a few almonds, but nothing else really strikes me as appetizing.  What in the world is wrong with me?

The princesses get quite concerned when “Mom” isn’t feeling up to par and upon my return from walking this morning my little Cailyn had this ready for me! 
DSCN4017 I didn’t really have the desire to eat a very ripe banana, but I knew I couldn’t decline her request…”try it, you might like it!”
DSCN4018We ended up sharing it!  Her words reminded me of the many times I have requested her to try something new, especially when it comes to green veggies, and I have a 50/50 chance of her turning up her nose or devouring everything on her plate!  I’d much rather the latter and spare the “food battle,” which is exactly what happened when I fixed this new dish.DSCN3974The hubs was more than thrilled to see some meat in his meal!
Sausage and Lentil “Stoup”  (a little thicker than soup, but not quite as thick as stew!)
Yields 4 servings
Ingredients:
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lb. Italian chicken sausage (I like Trader Joe’s!)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
8 oz. organic white mushrooms, chopped
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup lentils, rinsed and drained
sea salt and fresh pepper, to taste
1 fresh bay leaf
1 Tbsp cumin
1 tsp smoky paprika
3 stems fresh rosemary
1 can organic diced tomatoes
5 cups low-sodium veggie broth + 1 cup water
4 cups kale, removed from stem and chopped
Directions:
Heat a medium soup pot over medium-high heat.  Add extra virgin olive oil and sausage to the pot.  Brown meat, then add garlic, onions, and mushrooms.  Cook for a few minutes, then add carrots, lentils, salt, pepper, bay leaf, cumin, paprika and rosemary (the rosemary leaves will fall off the stems as the soup cooks!).
Add tomatoes, broth and water.  Cover the pot and raise to high heat to bring to a fast boil, then remove the lid.  Stir in kale and boil until the lentils are just tender, 15-20 minutes.  Remove rosemary stems and bay leaf.  Serve with warm bread and butter to “mop up your stoup!”
DSCN3973 I was concerned because the “green” was so visible!  We’ve had kale in soups before and my little Cailyn has so cleverly skirted around every piece, but not this time.  I honestly can’t tell you what it was about this particular soup that she so incredibly enjoyed…it’s random!!
DSCN3972 Soups have definitely been a great way to incorporate more veggies into my families diet, however Summer is quickly approaching and I’m going to have to find a new fallback…maybe grilling pizzas on the BBQ?

Now to get some rest and pray for a Friday full of energy!  Can’t wait to share the hubs’ graduation pics! 

Blessings,
J’lene
This post is also shared on Allergy Free Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment