Saturday, February 11, 2012

Small victories and a date night!

It’s been a crazy Saturday thus far, between running back and forth to the softball fields only to find out that both girls’ practices had been cancelled and trying to get school lessons done, grocery lists made, and church stuff prepared for tomorrow!  On the upside of it all….this means we get to stay home and enjoy the day as a family!  So, out came the sweats and jammies, good books, and I turned the oven on!  We’re in need of some granola, granola bars, and I think I’ll try a new breakfast cookie or baked oatmeal.

This weekend also marks the end of week 6 of my training and I know it’s probably nothing to all you avid runners out their, but I had me a “small victory” in that I completed this week with a 22 minute run without walking!  I don’t have one of those fancy thing-a-ma-jigs that track your distance, so I had the hubs follow my route in the car and my 22 minute run put me at about the 2.5 mile mark!  I find joy in the little things!!

DSCN2963

And victory #2….had a “green monster” smoothie every day for the last two weeks!  I’m having a lot of fun being creative with the smoothies and trying new greens every now and then.  And to top things off, the rest of the fam makes sure that I make enough for them too!  Yeah for eating veggies!!

DSCN2964 In the mix…water, 2 cups spinach, cucumbers, kiwi, strawberries, 1/2 an apple, and some pineapple.  I like to add a few ice cubes to make it nice and thick.

DSCN2965

The hubs took me on a much needed date last night that he planned out himself!  We took a drive to the Cabrillo National Monument in Point Loma.  He had plans for us to take a nice little walk around the area, but by the time we arrived the clouds had moved in, the temperature dropped quite a bit and the wind was picking up.  Needless to say, we made the most of it until we were just too cold (or at least I was)! 

DSCN2966 The views were absolutely gorgeous.

DSCN2967 Enjoyed watching quite a few sailboats sail by.

DSCN2970Climbed up to the lighthouse, but it was closed.  Like this pic though!

DSCN2972

DSCN2973 Beautiful ocean view.

DSCN2976 Point Loma Light House

DSCN2977 The sun was starting to set just as we decided to leave.  We headed out for an early dinner at Tender Greens Restaurant.

DSCN2980 I ordered the “Raw Salad” with a living vinaigrette dressing.  It was a good, fresh salad and the portion was large, but nothing to rave about (especially for the price).

DSCN2981

The hubs got a “Steak Hot Plate” with a side Caesar salad and Yukon gold mashed potatoes.  The redness of the steak made me squirm, but he seemed to enjoy it!  We both agreed that we were glad that we tried it and were happy with the freshness of our meal, but it wasn’t our favorite.  Next date night I think we’ll be heading back to the Tin Leaf Fresh Kitchen, where I had an out of this world salad and he raved about their steak sandwich!

 

Oh for the love of food…and each other!  Valentine’s Day is just around the corner and we’ve got some fun things planned for school….

Math….estimating, sorting and graphing with “Candy Hearts!”

DSCN2984

What would Valentine’s Day be without a “Puddle of Kisses” science experiment?  Eating chocolate for science…why not?!!

DSCN2989And art…”Hand Print Hearts” and “Heart Sponge Painting”, of course!  Check out this site for more Valentine fun with your kiddos!

Nourishing Thought for Today:

As you prepare for romantic dinners, buy gifts and send out cards for the one’s you love this Valentine’s Day, I challenge you to remember the greatest gift of love we’ve been given…

“But God demonstrates His own love for us in this; while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”  Romans 5:8

God is love!

“We love because he first loved us.”  1 John 4:19

Love not just with words, but with actions!

“May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance.” 2 Thessalonians 3:5

 

Blessings,

J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment