Thursday, August 25, 2011

Time to Refuel…

Do you ever feel like you’re running on fumes at the end of your day?   As a pastor’s wife and homeschooling mom, along with all the other duties that come with my day, these last few weeks (I’d even go so far as to say this last year) have left me feeling like I’m running on empty.  I’ve really been expending a lot of energy trying to take care of the “physical” needs of my body, as well as my family’s,  through healthy eating and exercising,  But I’m learning that good health is much more than just my food choices and the amount of exercise I do.  The Lord made it very clear to me today that it also includes my attitude, relationships, and outlook on life.  I need God to infuse that “fuel” back into my life!  So while I will continue to keep my “workout plan” because I intend to honor Him through a healthy lifestyle, I will be searching the Scriptures daily with a focus on health.  My goal is to keep up with a regular regimen of “workouts” in the areas of prayer, time in God’s Word, rest, and community and I look forward to finding a renewed strength.
DSCN0181
(Favorite Workout Equipment: kettle bell, resistance band, and bender ball)

Did you know that water is in the natural foods, fruits, and vegetables that you eat?  My girls have given me reminders that we need to “taste the rainbow” throughout our day!
“Just as a drink of water satisfies our thirst, the promises from God also bring satisfaction.” – Annette Reeder
DSCN0184
(The hubs and I start our day with 1 tsp raw apple cider vinegar and a glass of water.  You can read more about the benefits of raw apple cider vinegar here.)

Throughout the day I enjoy my water with a little lemon…gives it a little “zing” and it’s refreshing on a hot day!  Try it with a lime or even an orange for a fun flavor.
DSCN0198

And for dinner tonight (as per the girls request):
Angel Hair Pasta with Mom’s Homemade Tomato Sauce
Ingredients for the sauce:
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
several garlic cloves, peeled and passed through a garlic press (I used 4)
2 stalks organic celery, trimmed and chopped
2 organic carrots, peeled and grated
2 x 28-oz cans low-sodium organic crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup fresh organic basil, chopped fine
1 Tbsp dried oregano, crumbled
1 Tbsp dried parsley
Sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
Directions for the sauce:
In a large heavy skillet, heat olive oil.  Sautee onion, celery, garlic, and grated carrot until soft or translucent, but not browned.  Add tomatoes, basil, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper.  Cook over low heat for one hour, stirring often.  Serve over your favorite pasta!
*Prepare pasta noodles of your choice…there are many healthy varieties available in stores, including buckwheat, spelt, brown rice (one of our favorites because it’s gluten-free), spinach, etc…  Here’s what we had tonight.
DSCN0197
Nourishing Thought for Today:
Does water really quench our thirst and satisfy our bodies?  Without water, nothing lives.  Water is more important than any other nutrient that we put into our bodies….it is essential!  Water has two primary functions within the body:  it has life-sustaining and life-giving functions.  While the water here on earth will keep us hydrated and satisfied throughout our day, so too does the water that Jesus offers us.  As I drink my water today I am reminded of the gift that was given to me from a loving God!

Blessings.
J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment