Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Some things will just have to wait…

  The little princesses and the hubs went off shopping for my birthday this afternoon, so I went to visit my mom.  There was a mound of laundry waiting to be washed, bathrooms that could have been mopped, and carpet that should have been vacuumed.  But believe me, these tasks  will graciously be waiting for me to take care of them tomorrow. 

Today I needed to go take care of my mom…she needed to smile and we both needed some time to just unwind.  I think I made her smile when I came bearing samples of my kitchen creations!  And I think the little princesses made us both smile when they came barreling through the front door unexpectedly.  At least there were smiles, but we’ll have to save the unwinding for another day!  Some things will just have to keep waiting and waiting!

 

I usually do my grocery shopping on Sunday after church, but this time I couldn’t wait.  Henry’s was having a 25% off sale on all their bulk items and I couldn’t wait to stock up on a few items.  I try and buy in bulk when I can because it definitely saves a little $$$!  This time I couldn’t pass up the cranberries, apricots, prunes, raw sunflower seeds, and tart cherries.  All of this led me to make some of these little gems….and I just couldn’t wait to share them with you!

Simply Fruit and Nut Truffles

(inspired by Eating Bird Food)

Yields 24 truffles

Ingredients:

1/2 cup almond meal

1/2 cup all-purpose gluten free flour

1 cup old fashioned gluten free oats

1/2 cup pitted prunes (about 11)

1/2 cup organic raisins

1/4 cup dried apricots

1/4 cup dried cranberries

1/2 cup raw almond slices

1/2 cup raw unsalted sunflower seeds

1/3 cup water + 1-2 Tbsp

 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Place prunes, raisins, apricots, and cranberries in a mini-chopper or food processor and pulse until well chopped (I did about half at a time).

In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, oats, chopped fruit mixture, nuts, seeds, and water and knead with your hands (it is very messy) until a ball of dough forms.  You can always add a bit more water if the mixture is too dry.

Roll dough into 1-inch balls and place on baking sheet.  Bake for about 25 minutes or until baked through (the dough should still be a bit soft).  Don’t over bake them or they will turn hard.  Cool before storing in an airtight container in the fridge.

 

Dinner was on the fly tonight.  I needed something quick and easy, so here ya go!  The ingredients in this recipe are ones that I typically already have in the fridge and pantry which makes it a great meal to whip together in a flash…and it doesn’t take terribly long to cook!

DSCN0760(love, love, love to have this rice on hand…it helps to speed up the prep process!) 

Santa Fe Casserole

Ingredients:

1/2 cup red onion, chopped

1 Tbsp garlic, passed through a garlic press

1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 Tbsp taco seasoning

1 tsp cumin

1/2 Tbsp black pepper

1/2 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed

1/2 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed

1/2 red pepper, chopped

1 cup frozen corn

3/4 cup non-dairy milk (can sub in regular milk)

1 1/2 cups brown rice, cooked

2 large organic eggs, beaten

1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded

 

Directions:

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray and set aside.

In a small skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat and saute the onion and garlic just until tender.  Add the taco seasoning and cumin.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the pepper, milk, beans, cooked brown rice, corn, eggs, cheese, and red pepper.  Add in the onion mixture and mix well.

Pour mixture into prepared casserole dish.  Bake for 25-30 minutes or until center is firm.

Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes.  Serve and enjoy!

 

I won’t keep you waiting…there are more recipes on the way!

 

Blessings,

J’lene

 

No comments:

Post a Comment