Friday, September 23, 2011

Update on “flours”…and a recipe

Just wanted to give a quick recap on the flours I’ve been experimenting with over the past couple of weeks. 

First up was Millet flour, which I ground from whole millet grain.  I really enjoyed the pairing of this flour with a basic brown rice flour mix and I loved the crunchy texture it gave to the Banana Chocolate Chip Mini Loaves.  I definitely see Millet flour in future recipes!

Next up was Buckwheat flour, which has a subtle earthy/nutty flavor.  I paired this flour with some Oat flour made by grinding gluten free rolled oats in a food processor.  While I enjoyed the Banana Bread Buckwheat Bake, the rest of the family agreed that it was lacking in flavor.  The end result definitely created a dense and filling breakfast, but I need to make up for the flavor that this flour is lacking.

Then I was off to try Quinoa flour.  I partnered this flour with Quinoa flakes and while I liked the texture of the Apple Cinnamon Quinoa Mini Muffin Tops, the flavor of the Quinoa really overpowered the other ingredients.  I think next time I will stick to using one or the other, but not both!

Yesterday I paired Almond Meal with Coconut flour and I fell in love.  I am finding that Almond meal/flour is a wonderful addition to cookies, bars, and quick breads.  Coconut flour is fantastic, though expensive, which is why I like the fact that you don’t need a lot when baking.  The combination of the two together was divine!  I’ve already got another recipe in the works and this time it’s savory, not sweet. 

Blueberry Power Bars

(inspired by Elana @ Elana’s Pantry)

Ingredients:

1 cup almond meal

1 Tbsp coconut flour

2 Tbsp golden flaxseed meal

1/4 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

2 Tbsp pure maple sugar

1/4 tsp Stevia extract (not liquid)

2 large organic eggs

1/2 cup dried blueberries (I soaked mine in a 1/4 cup boiling water to soften)

1/4 cup dark chocolate chips

 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large mixing bowl, combine almond meal, coconut flour, flax meal, salt, and baking soda.

With a hand mixer, blend in maple sugar, stevia, and eggs.

Fold in blueberries (make sure you drain the liquid before mixing into the batter!) and chocolate chips.

Spread mixture into the prepared baking dish (it should be about an inch thick).  Bake for 15 minutes or until just starting to brown.  Remove from oven and let cool before cutting into squares.

 

Excited about my new find at the library this week!  It’s the first day of Fall and I can smell the warmth of the season…now where’s the cool weather!DSCN0806Cranberries, pumpkins, apples, squash, and cinnamon…oh my!

DSCN0809

DSCN0812

Nourishing Thought for Today:

Not so much as a thought today, but a question…

What are you looking forward to baking this fall season?  Will it include cranberries, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, squash, and/or apples?

 

Blessings,

J’lene

 

*Amazon is having a sale on a variety of gluten free flours…check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment