Tuesday, October 11, 2011

A different pace…

So today I got up a little quicker than I normally do…usually I find myself hitting the snooze button a few times!  The hubs had already left for bible study before the sun came up, the girls were asleep, and I thought I would begin my “normal” routine, but God seemed to quiet my heart and mind and instead of getting “busy” I sat down to do some much needed reading .  These are the two books I’m currently reading and God certainly had a little something to say from each of them this morning
DSCN1214 The Lord prepared my heart for the day…
DSCN1217
Instead of getting “busy,” I took the time make my family a well-rounded breakfast of scrambled eggs, sprouted bagels, and a smoothie…got our protein, whole grains, fruit, and veggies all packed in one! 
DSCN1136 (blueberries, cherries, raspberries, pineapple, banana, protein powder, flax, spinach, kefir, and a little water)
The hubs was gracious enough to get the princesses started on their school work so I could go enjoy a morning run.  Having gotten off to a later start, I definitely got my sweat on today!!  And what started off at a good paced run quickly turned into a brisk walk because my shins were killing me.  I actually enjoyed the slower pace.  My brisk walk still kept my heart pumping, but I was able to enjoy some of the things that I often pass by without a glance….
DSCN1190(Stop and smell the roses!)
(An array of fun Fall decorations on our neighbor’s front steps)
And speaking of “pumpkin”….I just can’t seem to get enough of it!
DSCN1195
DSCN1201
DSCN1202
Pumpkin Spice Granola Bars
(adapted from my Best Granola Bars recipe)
Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
1/2 cup gluten free all purpose flour (or whole wheat)
2 scoops protein powder
1/2 cup raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
1/4 dry roasted pecans, chopped
1/4 cup organic raisins
1/4 cup cranberries
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
2 flax eggs (2 Tbsp flax meal + 6 Tbsp water, let soak for 5-7 minutes)
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 Tbsp applesauce
3 Tbsp honey
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin spice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.  Set aside.
Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
In a smaller bowl, mix together pumpkin, applesauce, honey, brown sugar, spices, vanilla, and flax eggs.  Add wet to dry ingredients and mix until just blended.  

Press mixture into prepared baking dish.  Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.  Remove from oven and set on cooling rack to cool.  Once cool, cut into bars.  Keep in an airtight container in the fridge or wrap individually and freeze.  Makes for a great “grab and go” snack!


Nourishing Thought for Today:
Maybe God “shook” me out of my slumber this morning on purpose.  And I thought God did enough shakin’ in my life when we planted the church last October!  Obviously there is more shakin’ that needs to be done.  He is paving the way for something new and is removing what is old or dead. I’m ready to endure the shaking because I know what remains afterward will be much closer to its foundation…Jesus!

“God wakes us up from the secure by pushing us out of our comfort zone….all that is familiar, expected, constant, and under our own control.” Lisa Bevere

By just slowing down a bit this morning I was reminded that it is often easy to miss God’s presence.
Will you take the time today to allow God to speak truth to your heart, receive it and walk in it?

Blessings,
J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment