Friday, February 3, 2012

Life overwhelming…

Not playin’ hooky from blogging, but  I’m definitely on overload right now between the trials of homeschooling, being a pastor’s wife, and trying to be the wife and mother that God has called me to be.  YIKES!  Can’t seem to keep up with the curve-balls that life is throwing at me right now, so I’m back on my knees asking the Lord for help and holding His word close to my heart….. 

“My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness….That is why for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties.  For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 12:9-10

The Lord has placed these difficulties and hardships in my life for a purpose and, though the tide may be a bit rough, I will choose to “delight” in them rather than fight or control them myself!

It hasn’t been an entirely uphill battle this week…we’ve treaded on some softer ground and enjoyed us a little field trip to San Diego’s IMAX Theater in Balboa Park!   DSCN2908 CFS Homeschoolers!  Such an awesome group of kids and families!

DSCN2910 We watched a fabulous movie on “Dolphins”, which was perfect for our science study on creatures of the sea.  The dome theater made it feel like we were swimming right along with the dolphins!

DSCN2911 The weather was divine and the trees were beautifully trimmed with little white blossoms…

DSCN2912

DSCN2915 My little superstar!

DSCN2917She gets an A for “effort”  to try and force out a smile for me!  And I cut the poor little girl’s hair this week so she can actually see (didn’t realize it was that bad until I saw this picture…oops!).

 

And I comforted our bellies with a new crock pot “stew” that was out of this world!

DSCN2918 Crockpot Stew With Chickpeas, Butternut Squash and Red Lentils

(inspired by Eat Live Run)

Ingredients:

I onion, minced

1 Tbsp olive oil

2 carrots, chopped

4 cloves garlic, minced

2-3 tsp garam masala (see directions on how to make your own below)

1 butternut squash, peeled and chopped

1 28-oz can organic fire-roasted tomatoes in juice

1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth

1 cup red lentils, rinsed

1 cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed

1 tsp sea salt

fresh ground pepper to taste

Garam Masala:

2 Tbsp cumin

2 Tbsp coriander

2 Tbsp cardamom

2 tsp whole cloves

2 Tbsp black peppercorns

1 small stick cinnamon

Put all ingredients into a small food processor and process until finely ground.

Directions:

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the onions and carrots and saute for about 6 minutes.  Add in the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds, and then add in the garam masala, stirring well to coat.  Take off the heat.

Place the chickpeas, butternut squash, diced tomatoes, red lentils, vegetable broth and onion mixture in your crock pot.  Turn the heat on LOW and cook for 8-10 hours…the longer you cook, the thicker the “stew” will be.

Season with sea salt and pepper to taste and serve.  The stew will keep in the fridge for about 5 days and freezes well too!

DSCN2920 A nice hearty stew that will leave any “meat eater” in your family feeling satisfied!

DSCN2921

Good eats and a fun field trip shed some light amidst my darkness this week, but not quite as much as the hubs and the way he loves me unconditionally through it all! 

Nourishing Thought for Today:

As the hubs and I read through the book, Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas, together I am learning that in order to love my husband more I need to be loving God more. 

Some days it may be difficult to love your spouse, but “if you truly want to love God,  look right now at the ring on your left hand, commit yourself to exploring anew what that ring represents, and love passionately, crazily, enduringly the fleshly person who put it there.  It just may be one of the most spiritual things you can do.” (Gary Thomas)

I am forever thankful and grateful for my hubs and his love for God and for me!

Happy Friday!!

Blessings,

J’lene

1 comment:

  1. i'll be praying for you, my friend that the uphill battles you face will soon come to an end. i love the quote by gary thomas, what an awesome reminder!

    ReplyDelete