Thursday, March 8, 2012

Planning ahead…

The hubs and I will be heading out to Chandler, Arizona next week to take part in a church planting conference, so it is just in my nature to start planning now!  Some things I am tackling on my list this week are…

1) Finding healthy/gluten free friendly restaurants in Chandler:

24 Carrots (check out Gluten Free Frenzy’s review on this restaurant….I can’t wait!)

Jason’s Deli

Whole Foods (not really a restaurant, but they have a wonderful salad bar, deli and more!)

Chipotle Mexican Grill

2) Making snacks we can take on the road and for the princesses to take to Grammy and Papa’s:

Our Favorite Granola

 DSCN3073

Best Granola Bars

DSCN1202

Sun Butter Banana Protein Bars

DSCN2607

Peppermint Luna Bars

DSCN2066

Other things I plan to stick in the cooler:

Chobani Yogurt

Fresh Veggies and Hummus

Fresh Fruit

Udi’s Gluten Free Bagels

Trail Mix

And  for lunch on the road I’m looking forward to a gluten-free veggie wrap thanks to our fabulous local health store, Ramona Family Naturals, who recently added ready-made salads, wraps, soup and sandwiches to their repertoire of healthy creations!  This is one of the blessings of living in a small town…if you ask, then more than likely you will receive!  When I first heard that they would be adding veggie wraps to their menu, I graciously asked if they might consider creating a gluten free one.  In less than a week they delivered this…

DSCN3262 It’s filled with red onions, red peppers, zucchini, carrots, spring lettuce and a delicious “hummus-like” spread all wrapped up in a brown rice tortilla!  I loved every bite and can’t wait to take another on the road!  The hubs has his eye on one of their sandwiches and promises he can “eat and drive” safely!

3) Packing all four of us + some school work (and trying not to forget anything, but knowing that I probably will!)  The princesses’ only concern is that I pack everything in the suitcases they have requested…I think I can handle that one!

 

The hubs actually said that he would miss my cooking for the four days we’ll be gone…music to my ears!  With that said, I’ve been trying to deliver some good eats this week.

DSCN3317

Have it Your Way Spinach Dip

Yields 10 servings

Ingredients:

10 oz. frozen chopped spinach, thawed and excess liquid squeezed out

1/2 cup nonfat plain yogurt (you can use So Delicious coconut milk yogurt to keep this dish vegan or dairy free)

5 Tbsp Veganaise (or light mayo)

1/3 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

1/4 cup green onion, chopped

1-2 garlic cloves, passed through a garlic press

1 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese ( you can use Daiya mozzarella shreds to keep this dish vegan or dairy free)

fresh ground pepper to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat an 8x8 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.

Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well.  Spoon into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, until hot and cheese is melted.  Serve right away with your favorite crackers, pita chips or veggies!

DSCN3292Some like it hot….DSCN3318Some like it cold….

I prefer it warm right out of the oven, but it did taste pretty darn good as a spread on my homemade gluten free tortilla this afternoon!

DSCN3299 

I used this recipe (with a few adjustments) from Living Without.

DSCN3301My adjustments: I used a garbanzo and fava bean flour mix instead of just straight fava flour.  And subbed 2 Tbsp Earth Balance for the shortening. 

DSCN3303  The princesses rolled out their own and ate every last bite of their “cheesy tortilla”!  These gluten free tortillas taste like the real deal and they won’t fall apart when you stuff them full of your favorite goodies!!!

 

Okay, now that it is in writing I’d better get on it!

Hi! Ho! Hi! Ho! It’s off to work I go….the laundry is on the couch waiting to be folded and put away, the timer on the oven just went off, and one of my princesses is ready to go to softball practice!

Blessings,

J’lene 

No comments:

Post a Comment