Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Dress It Up!

Already three days into week three…wow, how time flies when you’re havin’ fun busy!  We’re still on the “paleo” bandwagon enjoying our meals and treats and not at all feeling like we’re missing out on anything or having the desire to “indulge.”  I have to admit, though, that this week I’ve run out of steam in the creativity department, so we’re having some repeat meals for pure convenience.  However, I did kick it up a notch in the “greens” department…dressin’ things up a little!

Everyone knows that I love me some green salad.  In fact, the more mixed greens I can get into one salad the more I love it!  The hubs, on the other hand, will eat the salad if it is already placed on his plate, but it isn’t typically the first thing he grabs for on the table.  He’s been even more hesitant to reach for some of the leafy greens since his beloved ranch dressing is no longer on the menu!  So this seemingly terrible situation promptly sent me out on a mission to create a paleo ranch-style dressing that would also pass the “good-taste” test.  After a few failed attempts, I think we’ve finally found our match!

DSCN6343Paleo Ranch Style Dressing

Yields about 2 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup olive oil

1 cup canned coconut milk

1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (I like to use raw)

1 Tbsp Dijon mustard

2 tsp dill

2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

2 Tbsp fresh chives

4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice

1/2 tsp parsley

1/2 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp sea salt

1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper

Directions:

Combine all ingredients into a blender or food processor and pulse until mixed well.

DSCN6340This dressing has become a universal condiment in our house…it goes on sandwiches, it’s a dip for raw veggies, and it definitely takes our salads to the next level! 

If you’re looking for something a little more on the sweeter side, this dressing really hits the spot.  DSCN4354 Creamy Citrus Dressing

Yields about 2 cups

Ingredients:

1 cup canned coconut milk (you can use plain greek yogurt if you’re doing dairy)

1 small shallot, finely minced

1 tsp orange zest

2 Tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice

2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1/2 tsp tumeric

1/8 tsp smoked paprika

sea salt

fresh ground pepper

Directions:

Combine all dressing ingredients together and whisk until thoroughly combined.  Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

DSCN4351This is one my favorite dressings for kale salads…mix or “massage” it over all the kale leaves and let it sit in the fridge for about an hour before eating and it really softens up the kale!   If you’re a fan of kale, here’s another one of my favorites (this was pre-paleo, hence the added brown rice!).

I see I have a “creamy” trend going on here! 

Creamy  Avocado Dressing (click for recipe)

DSCN3589This dressing has got a lovely “tang” to it and is paired nicely with your favorite taco salad or  lettuce wrap.  It’s another one of those dressings you can literally use on just about anything…thick enough for a dip, spreadable enough for a sandwich and just right for any salad creation!

DSCN3591

While I may have gotten into some sort of “paleo” rhythm and things have cooled off a bit in the kitchen, things are heating up at the gym this week.  We’re at the halfway point in the challenge and now it’s time to test what we’re really made of!!  I’m definitely ready to push myself and get my sweat on this week!

I decided to do a 2.5 mile morning run on Monday only to come home and find out Monday’s WOD…

Nicole”

AMRAP in 20 minutes

400 Meter Run

Pull-ups Max

Time started with the run followed by as many pull-ups as you could do.  Every time you dropped from the bar or couldn’t complete a full pull-up you had to head out for another 400 M run!  I ended up running 4 times and did 75 banded pull-ups for my final time.

Tuesday my arms and legs were pretty worked, so I opted for a 2.5 mile walk instead of a run!  And as part of our challenge this week we are to start and/or end our day with 25 sit-ups, 25 squats and 25 push-ups….more sweat!!

Today’s WOD

2 Rounds

100 Double Unders

50 lunges

25 push press

It was pretty cold at the gym this morning, so I didn’t actually break a sweat but it definitely got my heart rate pumping!  I completed my rounds of sit-ups, squats and push-ups and also decided to go for a 20 minute run at the softball fields while my Princess Makenna was practicing. 

Whew!  It’s been a good week so far and I’m looking forward to finishing it out strong!

Blessings,

J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment