Thursday, January 12, 2012

Cleaned up twice baked potatoes

We’ve had the privilege of taking care of my parents animals while they are away (3 dogs and 2 horses), which means a lot of driving back and forth to the house and a slight change in our own routine.  The princesses have owned up to the responsibility, setting their alarms for 6:45 in the morning and pestering the hubs to get up and get moving!  After lunch they are pestering me to take them back so the dogs can go for an afternoon walk!  Needless to say, we’ve been moving at a fast pace here the last couple of days and I’ve hardly had time to sit down and think, let alone remember to take a decent picture of my kitchen creations and get them posted for you all. 

Although the pictures were taken as an after thought…an “oh shoot! I forgot to take a picture” moment…the product turned out oh-so-delicious!  I haven’t had a “twice-baked” potato in ages, largely in part because of all the “heavy” ingredients.  But after having that “baked veggie potato” at Claim Jumper last week, I’ve been craving potatoes!  I think I hit the jackpot on these ones.  They were just what I was hoping for…

 

DSCN2639 Stuffed and ready for baking!

DSCN2640

 Twice-Baked Veggie Potatoes

Yields 4-6 servings

Ingredients:

4 potatoes

8 medium broccoli florets

1/2 a medium zucchini, shredded

1 small carrot, peeled and shredded

1/4 cup non-dairy milk (I used unsweetened Almond)

1/3 cup shredded cheese + a little more for sprinkling on top (optional)

salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Bake the potatoes and allow to cool until they can be handled.

Meanwhile, steam the broccoli just until tender, then chop finely.

Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise and scoop out the flesh, being careful to leave a shell of 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  In a medium bowl, mash the potato flesh and milk together.  Add the broccoli, zucchini, carrots, and cheese and continue mashing.  Season the potato mixture with salt and pepper to taste.

Mound the mixture into the potato shells and sprinkle with reserved cheese (optional).  Place on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes, or until well heated and slightly browned.

DSCN2643 Right out of the oven!

DSCN2646

This week we also “cleaned” up our “sweet treat” choices as a part of our New Year’s “swip-swap” challenge!  I found this lovely pineapple on sale at Sprouts and, “Voila,” a perfect after dinner treat.

DSCN2635 The label says I picked “the perfect pineapple.” 

DSCN2637 And the taste test says, “I did pretty darn good!”

 

Back to the kitchen I go…a new “cheez-it” recipe in the works!

 

Blessings,

J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment