Sunday, April 8, 2012

Another Trader Joe’s Inspired Meal!

Things are warming up in San Diego this weekend!  I hear that cooler weather is on it’s way, so I’m going to soak up the sun while I can….

at the Farmer’s Market of course!DSCN3656 Love, love, love the rainbow of colors of fresh produce!

DSCN3657 Fresh lettuce for my favorite salads (I snagged the last bag of spinach and bunch of kale, so I missed out on getting pics!)

DSCN3662 The princesses ate their fare share of strawberry samples and their clothes had the stains to prove it! 

DSCN3675 I’m thinking “Grilled Asparagus” sometime this week!  Something new for the princesses, but an old, easy favorite of mine.

DSCN3661 And if I didn’t get enough of a flower fix from the Flower Fields, the hubs bought me some to enjoy at home!

After a nice morning/afternoon soaking up the sun we spent the rest of the day just hanging out at home.  I washed and cut up all our goods from the market, while the princesses read books and the hubs worked on his last paper for school.  And dinner, well, it happened on the fly (and because I had some overly ripe avocados in the fridge that were just begging to be mashed into some yummy guacamole!)!

Anything I can throw into a casserole dish works great as a meal in our house!  I just so happened to come across a recipe that a dear friend of mine (Thanks Michelle!) e-mailed me, probably over a year ago, and I just so happened to have most of the ingredients on hand (because I always have Trader Joe’s ingredients on hand!).  What I didn’t have, I improvised to fit the needs and tastes of our family…and it worked!

DSCN3600 Mexican Lasagna (gluten free & vegetarian)

Ingredients:

1 bag of Trader Joe’s frozen organic brown rice (cooked)

2 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth

1 can fire-roasted tomatoes with chilies

1 onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

1 tsp cumin

1 can organic black beans, drained and rinsed

1 cup quinoa

3/4 jar of Trader Joe’s salsa verde

1 package of Trader Joe’s handmade corn tortillas

2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

1/2 cup Trader Joe’s enchilada sauce

1 cup frozen corn

sea salt and pepper to taste

Greek yogurt, cilantro or avocado for optional toppings

Directions:

Prepare a 10x13 inch baking dish by lightly spraying with cooking spray.  Set aside.

Cook rice according to directions and let cool. 

Cook quinoa according to package directions (I like to cook my quinoa with vegetable broth instead of water).  You will only use about 1 1/2 cups of the cooked quinoa, so you’ll have leftovers for another meal!!

In a medium pan over medium-high heat, saute tomatoes, garlic and onions in olive oil until onions are soft.  Mix in cumin.

In a small mixing bowl, stir together onion mixture, beans and cooked rice.  Add salt and pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Spread half of the salsa verde into the bottom of your prepared baking dish.  Layer on 1/2 of the corn tortillas covering the salsa (you may have to tear them so they fit better in the dish).

Divide the rice mixture in half and spread over the first layer of tortillas.  Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese on top of the rice.

Add another layer of tortillas.  Pour enchilada sauce over tortillas and spread evenly.

Add a layer of cooked quinoa, about 1 1/2 cups.  Add a layer of corn.  Add the remaining half of rice mixture and pour the rest of the salsa verde on top.  Top with the remaining cup of cheese.

Bake for 30 minutes, until the cheese melts and begins to brown a bit.

DSCN3595Lots of quinoa, which means leftovers for salads, side dishes or even baked goods (it makes a great addition to muffins and cookies)!

DSCN3598Layers of ooey, gooey wholesome goodness!

Have a fabulous week!  We schooled last week, so we’re taking our Spring Break this week while everyone goes back to school.  Posts might be sparse because we’re having too much fun!

Blessings,

J’lene

No comments:

Post a Comment